Turkey feet up…
Turkey feet down…
Don’t ever put more than one foot down!
Gobble and whistle, shake and preen
Flip your feathers and swing
And don’t ever put more than one foot down!
And that would be the Prairie Turkey Hoe-Down!
So on that note, the turkeys – we have a small flock of 12 – were hanging out enjoying our company and begging for any veggie left-overs out of the packing shed this afternoon. (And for anyone who hasn’t been around turkeys, they are amazingly sociable, curious creatures). Lucky for you (and not so lucky for the turkeys), we only tossed the turkeys the trimmings of the following fabulous vegetables…Coming tomorrow, to the Bayview and Coupevile Farmer’s Markets:
From Willowood Farm
* 4 KINDS of new taters – Reds, yellows, whites! Yummy!
* Glorious green kohlrabi
* Baby green cabbages
* Quinoa greens (yummy, think spinach like, but with a nuttier flavor)
* Rainbow Chard
* Huge, beautiful bunches of kale
* Loads of onions – Torpedo onions, tropeana tonda onions, cippolini onions, ailsa crag onions…
* Pea Vines – with beautiful little flowers
* Baby bulb fennel – new crop thinnings…
* Gourmet garlic, several kinds!
From Prairie Bottom Farm
* Carrots, carrots and more carrots
* Beets, beets and more beets!
* Fava beans
* Even more onions
* Savoy cabbage
* Roma Green beans (limited quantities)…
You might notice from the list, not a lot of salad greens at the moment! That’s what the hot weather does! But, more on their way…Also coming soons – LOADS more fresh green beans, lots of peas, fresh chickpea bunches, more garlic, summer squash, more cabbage, etc, etc, etc…
We hope to see you tomorrow! And for those of you in Coupeville, remember, not market the following weekend (Aug 1-2), due to the Coupeville Arts and Crafts Festival so don’t forget to LOAD UP NOW!
Happy local eating!
Georgie Smith, Farmer
Willowood Farm of Ebey’s Prairie